×  Home Map Login About

Layer Gallery

Fort Baldwin (Battery Hawley)

Description:

Battery Hawley is one of three batteries in Fort Baldwin in Phippsburg, Maine. It is a 6-inch coastal gun battery whose construction started in 1905 by the United States Army Corps of Engineers and was finished in 1908. The battery was dedicated to Brevet Major General Joeph Roswell Hawley on the 25th of January 1906, almost a year after his death. Hawley fought with distinction throughout the Civil War, having participated in the First Battle of Bull Run, the Port Royal Expedition, the siege of Charleston, the Battle of Olustee, the siege of Petersburg, and the attack on Fort Fisher. The battery was deactivated in 1924 and today it accepts visitors as a military, historical site with no weapons on site.

Collection Objects

Contents